Although successful completion of the program does not guarantee a candidate a position in law enforcement, graduates will have received training from a certified police academy and are able to pursue employment as a certified police officer for a 3 year period from date of graduation.
Announcements pertaining to enrollment will be posted in area newspapers, colleges, libraries and here on our website.
- Citizen of the United States
- Sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the Police and Fireman’s retirement system of New Jersey as to his / her eligibility for membership in the retirement system
- Able to read, write, and speak the English language well and intelligently
- Good moral character and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude
- Resident of the State of New Jersey at time of entry into the academy
- Maintains a valid driver’s license issued by the State of New Jersey
- Must be 18 years of age and not over 35 at the completion of the academy program
- Educational, Military experience: No person shall make application for enrollment as an alternate route trainee in the basic training course for police officer unless he / she can demonstrate completion of at least 60 college credits or 2 years of active military service.
- Written Test
- Physical fitness agility test
- Medical examination including stress and drug tests
- Psychological test
- Background investigation
Stay tuned for class announcements