HomePrint FriendlyEmail Page

Go To Search
Click to Home
About the CountyDepartmentsNew ResidentsOur MunicipalitiesOfficialsHow Do I...?
1. How do I apply to Vote By Mail?
You must submit an application to the County Clerk's Office Election Division. These applications are available at the County Clerk's Election Division and also at your local Municipal Clerk's Office. You may also download and print an application from this website.

2. How do I fill out the Application?
The Vote-By-Mail application includes several sections that require information such as your name, address, date of birth, phone number, etc. In addition to this information you can choose one (1) of the following options:
For Upcoming Elections: By filing out Sections 1 through 9 and checking off the box in Section 1 for the upcoming election you wish to vote in, you will receive a Mail-In Ballot for just that particular election.

For The Calendar Year: By checking off Box "A" in Section 10 and filling out Sections 2 through 9, you will receive a ballot for every election to be held during that calendar year. From then on, in January of each year you will receive a new application from the County Clerk's office. You must fill out and return it to the County Clerk's office. You will then receive Mail-In Ballots automatically for all elections during the year, until you request otherwise in writing. Note that this option must be renewed each January.

For All Future November General Elections: By checking off Box "B" in Section 10 and filling out Sections 2 through 9, you will receive a Mail-In Ballot for all future November General Elections. You will continue to receive Mail-In Ballots for each November General Election until you request otherwise in writing.

3. If I serve in the Military, what are my voting options?
You may submit a Vote-By-Mail Application for any election if you are a registered voter in Passaic County and are any of the following:
An active member of the armed forces

A spouse or dependent of a member of the armed forces

A patient in a veteran's hospital

A civilian attached to or in service with the armed forces out of state, or a spouse or dependent residing with or accompanying that person.

You can also obtain a Federal Post Card Application from the proper military personnel or from our website. The Application is only valid for one (1) year and must be renewed every year. You will receive a Mail-In Ballot for each election held in your municipality during that year.

4. I am a US citizen living overseas. How can I still vote?
If you are a U.S. citizen living overseas either temporarily or indefinitely, you can still vote. You will need to fill out and send us a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) which you can obtain from the website.
In Section 1 of this form, you must indicate if you are residing outside of the U.S. temporarily or indefinitely. This application must be renewed every year, in January. Federal Post Card Application

5. I have received a letter from the County Clerk's Office saying my application has been rejected. What do I do?
Call the County Clerk's Election Division immediately. There are many reasons why an application can be rejected. Usually, this happens because the signature on the application does not match the signature on file on the voter's registration, or because there is some other discrepancy with your registration. These problems are usually resolved easily, but we can only help if you call the office at 973-881-4127.

6. If I cannot sign my name due to illness or injury, how do I authorize my Application?
If you are unable to sign your name the way it appears in the Voter Registry, you may indicate your mark, such as an X, in Section 8 of the application. Place this mark on the line provided for your signature. Your name must be printed next to the mark, and a witness must sign their name and designate their relationship to the voter.

7. If I help someone fill out an Application, what should I do?

In Section 11, you must provide your name, address and signature, thereby identifying yourself as an Assistor.

8. What is an Authorized Messenger?
Any registered voter may apply to Vote-By-Mail using an Authorized Messenger. The messenger must be a member of the voter's family or a registered voter of Passaic County. The voter must provide the authorized messenger's name and address in Section 12 of the Application, and the voter must sign the application on the line provided. The authorized messenger must show Photo ID and sign the Application in the presence of a County Clerk Election Official and deliver the Mail-In Ballot directly to the voter. An authorized messenger will be permitted to serve as a messenger for not more than three (3) qualified voters per election.

9. If I am a candidate, may I still serve as an Assistor or Authorized Messenger?
No. Candidates in an election for which a voter is requesting a Mail-In Ballot cannot be an Assistor or Authorized Messenger.

10. Who can Vote-By-Mail in Passaic County?
Any registered voter with a primary residence in Passaic County may use a Mail-In Ballot.