HomePrint FriendlyEmail Page
RSSFacebookTwitterPlay

Go To Search
Click to Home
About the CountyDepartmentsNew ResidentsOur MunicipalitiesOfficialsHow Do I...?
Cultural and Historic Affairs

The Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs (DCHA) is responsible for the County of Passaic's historic sites, including the Dey Mansion, Lambert Tower, Lambert Castle, the John W. Rea House, the Westervelt-Vanderhoef House, the County Court House and all other County-owned property that is placed on the New Jersey or National Register of Historic Places. Moreover, the Department coordinates cultural and historic programming and provides technical expertise on preservation projects.

2016 Annual Report from the New Jersey Historic Trust

IMG_1940.JPGDey Mansion, Wayne, NJ
The Dey Mansion, an excellent example of Georgian architecture and is most associated as General George Washington's headquarters during the year 1780. The Mansion reopened after an extensive rehabilitation and restoration project. Tours and programs are offered during the week and on weekends. Please visit www.facebook.com/DeyMansion for all information about upcoming events.

 
1304030363.jpgJohn W. Rea House, Hawthorne, NJ
The John W. Rea House is an excellent example of the highly developed period in Dutch vernacular stone house construction in northern New Jersey. Built circa 1810, the Rea House was utilized as a private residence for the Rea family until 1920.The building was purchased by the Passaic County Park Commission in 1930 and has served as offices for various organizations well into the present. The Rea House is undergoing renovations. Programs & Events will be announced in the future.

The Rea House improvements were published in THE RECORD on January 3rd. See link for full article.

1304045851.jpgWestervelt-Vanderhoef House, Clifton, NJ
The Westervelt-Vanderhoef House is another excellent example of the early Dutch settlement period. The building is characteristic of classic Dutch vernacular, built sometime between 1720 and 1740. The property, currently Weasel Brooke Park, was sold to Garret Gerritse Vanderhoef on May 1, 1730, who ran a grist/saw mill on site. the ownership of the property was later handed to the Westervelt family n 1825, who then carried the property until 1913, when the Passaic County Park Commission took ownership.  The Westervelt-Vanderhoef House and Weasel Brooke Park is undergoing renovations. Programs & Events will be announced in the future.

Lambert Castle.jpgLambert Castle, Paterson, NJ
The Castle," a well-known landmark in Northern New Jersey, is located on Garret Mountain overlooking the City of Paterson. Once a private residence, the building is fashioned after an English castle. Catholina Lambert, an English immigrant who made his fortune in the silk industry, built the Castle in 1892. In 1934, the Passaic County Historical Society (PCHS) was granted permission to establish a museum and library in the building. The PCHS has since maintained the museum and the County's records. Please visit www.lambertcastle.org for more information about the Castle and its programs.

lambert tower.jpgLambert Tower, Paterson, NJ
The tower was built in 1896 by Catholina Lambert. After Lambert died, Passaic County bought his mansion, the tower and 164 acres of land on Garret Mountain from the state and opened the county's first park. The tower remained open to visitors throughout the 1930s but was used by the military as a lookout for enemy aircraft during World War II. By 1971, the tower had fallen into disrepair and had to be closed. It lay dormant until 2008, when Passaic County partnered with the state Green Acres program to split the restoration costs. The tower was restored and reopened in July 2014. Visitors now can climb to the observation deck and enjoy the spectacular view that stretches to the New York City skyline. Events and programs at the tower will be announced Spring 2017.

PasCh-4-11-B-Post-Office-and-Court-House-REP-2.jpgsaic County Courthouse, Paterson, NJ
 
The Passaic County Courthouse (1904) and United States Custom House (1899) are both excellent examples of their distinctive styles and of master architects. More importantly both significantly contribute to the changing tide in the design of public buildings. The construction of these buildings were put into effect but public architectural competitions, a new trend for the United States. by the turn-of-the-century.  Events and programs at the Courthouse Plaza will be announced Spring 2017.

**New Programs**

Passaic County Historic Markers Program -
Details to be posted soon

 

Historic_Marker_Locations_sm.jpg

 
 

Contact Us
Kelly Ruffel
Director
e-mail

Dey Mansion
199 Totowa Rd.
Wayne, NJ 07470
973-696-1776
Info Advanced