HomePrint FriendlyEmail Page

Go To Search
Click to Home
About the CountyDepartmentsNew ResidentsOur MunicipalitiesOfficialsHow Do I...?
Passport Information

 Passport and Card.jpg


You may apply for a passport at the County Clerk's Main Office located at 401 Grand Street in Paterson (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) or our Satellite Office located at 1237 Ringwood Avenue in Wanaque (8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday).  Please arrive at the office no later than 4:00 p.m. so that the staff will be able to process your passport application.  You may also apply at any of our mobile passport locations. 
Please review our monthly Passport Schedule... for locations and times throughout Passaic County.  Procedures are set by the United States government, which has a Website listing the full requirements for a US Passport.
Passports take approximately 4-6 weeks before they are received. Rush services are available in our office for 2-3 weeks.

                                                  *IMPORTANT NOTICE*

***Important Passport Announcement: Please note it takes 7-10 business days from when applicants apply for passports to be tracked online at travel.state.gov.

**Please be advised that effective January 22, 2018, the Overnight Delivery Fee has increased to
$15.89.   Please see below for a complete list of fees.

**Please be advised that effective April 2, 2018, the Passport Acceptance Fee will increase from
$25 to $35.



All applicants MUST appear in person:

The following items are essential to obtain a passport:

1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship 

  • A prior U.S. Passport or Passport Card
  • Birth Certificate/Vital Statistics

    Certified Birth Certificate issued by Vital Statistics with a seal and the full names of the parent(s) listed and a recording date within one year of birth.  The full names of the applicant's parent(s) must be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age.  Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. All children under the age of 16 years of age must provide a cerfified birth certificate with application.
    • The County Clerk does not maintain birth certificates on file.  A birth certificate may be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality that you were born in.  Birth certificates, along with marriage, death or divorce documents may also be obtained online at www.state.nj.us/health/vital.

  • Born Outside of United States - You can obtain a U.S. Passport if you were born outside of the United States. You must submit the following:

    • A previous passport
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    • Other evidence that would support a claim of citizenship through naturalization of parents
    • Proof relevant to your parents’ naturalization, your foreign birth certificate and your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

Birth abroad to U.S. citizen parents must be substantiated through a consular report of birth and/or certification of birth certificate or your foreign birth certificate, parents' marriage certificate, proof of parents/citizenship and affidavit of U.S. citizen parents showing all periods/places of residence and physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

2. Proof of Identification

  • A valid, not temporary driver's license. A learner’s permit is not acceptable. The license must contain your signature and physical description.  Out of State Driver's licenses will require additional identification.
  •  A permanent identification card or pass from a government agency, employer or student ID.

 3. One Recent 2" x 2" Color Photograph

  • The photograph should contain your face from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head (including hair). Only a color photo is acceptable. You may provide the photograph or the photo can be taken at our office for a $10.00 fee in addition to the fees listed. The photograph must be clear, front view full face taken in normal street attire without dark glasses or hat. The photo must be printed in permanent type thin paper with a plain white background. Family snapshots, most vending machine prints and full length photos are not acceptable.

4.  U.S. Passport Applications for Children under Age 16 require both parents' signatures

  • Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian and show valid personal identification. Parents must both sign and take oath before authorized Passport Acceptance Agent.
  • If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must do as set forth above and present evidence that he/she has sole legal custody of the child or submit notarized written consent of the other parent (Form 3053).  A photocopy of the front and back of the non-applying parent's ID is required with the written consent) or a notarized written statement (form DS 3053) (made under penalty of perjury) explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.  Please note that the Form 3053 must be dated within 3 months of the date the child's passport application is applied for or it cannot be accepted.



The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.


All U.S. citizens may apply for a passport card. 

If you have a U.S. passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for the card by mail.  You can use Form DS-82 to renew your passport book at the same time that your apply for you passport card.

If you have never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82, you must appy in person using Form DS-11. 

All passport cards will be returned using First Class Mail.  Passport cards cannot be shipped to you using overnight delivery.


 What are you Applying for?  Application Fee Execution Fee
 Passport Book Regular        $110.00 CK/MO      $25.00 Cash/MO
 Passport Book Expedite        $185.89 CK/MO      $35.00 Cash/MO
 Passport Card          $30.00 CK/MO      $25.00 Cash/MO
Validity: 10 Years
Check or Money Order Made Payable to the U.S. Dept. of State

 What are you Applying for?  Aplication Fee Execution Fee
 Passport Book Regular          $80.00 CK/MO      $25.00 Cash/MO
 Passport Book Expedite        $155.89 CK/MO      $35.00 Cash/MO
 Passport Card          $15.00 CK/MO      $25.00 Cash/MO
Validity: 5 Years
Check or Money Order Made Payable to the U.S. Dept. of State