The Westervelt-Vanderhoef House, located in Weasel Brook Park, Clifton, is one of the oldest buildings in Passaic County and is the oldest County owned facility. Built in 1720, it was the original home of Gilbert Vanderhoef, owner and operator of the only working flour and gristmill in the area at that time. Although the property changed hands a number of times it continued to be operated as a grist mill until 1897, when it was owned by the Westervelt family.
Its historical significance within the county has been recognized by the Freeholder Board and, under the Direction of the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs, a massive rehabilitation and restoration project began in the fall of 2017.
Today, The Westervelt – Vanderhoef house is undergoing a complete restoration, slated to be finished in the summer of 2018. Once complete, the house will serve as an extension to both the Departments of Cultural & Historic Affairs and Parks & Recreation. They will permit the use of the building as meeting space for various organizations, as well as house exhibitions on the history of Clifton, Passaic County, and Weasel Brook Park. In addition, the Departments will provide educational and recreational programs throughout the year.
For more information on the restoration of the Westervelt-Vanderhoef house, or its uses, please contact the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs at 973-706-6640 or email firstname.lastname@example.org