icon tw icon fb icon insta
401 Grand St. Paterson, NJ 07505 | (973) 881-4000
"Rich History, Bright Future"

Historic Site Permits

The Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs issues and handles all permits for use of the following County Historic Sites: 

  • Dey Mansion Washington's Headquarters;
  • Vanderhoef-Westervelt House;
  • John W. Rea House;
  • Lambert Castle (grounds only); ***CLOSED***
  • Lambert Tower (grounds only); and
  • Court House Plaza
Please be aware that each site has different policies, requirements, and capacity.

Dates of events and functions are important. The sooner you know your date, please contact the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs so that we may check the availability of your date and reserve your spot on our calendar. Once Permits, Hold Harmless Agreements, and payments are received, a confirmation email, as well as a hard copy of your reservation will be sent. Reservations will not be confirmed until all paperwork and payment(s) have been received.

Refer to the links below for our site rental policies and the required forms:

Dey Mansion Washington's Headquarters Permits (Wayne):

*More information on permits for the Dey Mansion Washington's Headquarters - please visit our website at www.deymansion.org

Court House Plaza Permits (Paterson):

Lambert Castle (Paterson):


Lambert’s Castle is owned by the County of Passaic and operated by the Passaic County Historical Society. Permit information varies. All exterior programs/permits are handled by the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs, while interior space rentals/permits are handled through the Passaic County Historical Society.

Lambert Tower (Woodland Park):

Westervelt-Vanderhoef House Permits (Clifton):

John W. Rea House Permits (Hawthorne):

Other Required Forms:

Permit Information:

All of Passaic County's historic assets lie within the boundaries of the Passaic County Park System. All permits must therefore comply with the Department of Parks & Recreation's park regulations and permits.

Payment: The Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs can accept payment in the form of a check or money order, or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.  A security deposit in the form of a separate check or money order may also be required based on the type of event and guest size. The amount of the deposit is 30% of the permit cost. Any payments/deposits not received two weeks prior to your event, will require that payment is made via certified funds, such as a money order or a cashier’s check.  No personal checks will be accepted.  Upon the completion of your event, the site will be inspected by a Passaic County Park Attendant. If the site is in acceptable condition the attendant will collect your permit and deliver it to the Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs' office for deposit return.  If there are more people in the party than the permit was taken out of, or if the site is damaged/left dirty, your deposit will not be returned. If no one collects your permit, please send it to: Passaic County Department of Cultural & Historic Affairs at 199 Totowa Road in Wayne as soon as possible.

If you do not have your permit at the event, you will be asked to leave.

All park rules and regulations must be followed. A complete list can be found on our website.

Rained Out Picnic/Events: If your event has been rained out and you wish to reschedule for another date, return the original permit along with a list of alternative dates. If you do not wish to reschedule return the original permit and a full refund will be made.

Cancelled Picnics/Events: With the exception of “rain outs,” refunds for cancellations will be made only upon receipt of written notice at least 2 weeks prior to event date.

Refunds/Deposits: Refunds are only accepted if you cancel the event at least 2 weeks prior to the event date. Refund may take up to 4 weeks to process.

Permits are non-transferable and there is a $5.00 charge for a replacement of a lost permit.

Insurance Requirements: Depending on the size and nature of your event, a Certificate of Insurance may need to be filed with our office.