icon tw icon fb icon insta
401 Grand St. Paterson, NJ 07505 | (973) 881-4000
"Rich History, Bright Future"
Passport Essentials   New Passport Application   Passport Fees   Renew By Mail


        Passaic County Clerk/Passport Office
        401 Grand Street - Room 130
        Paterson, New Jersey 07505
        TEL: 973-225-3690
        FAX: 973-754-1920
        Open Monday - Friday
        8:00am - 4:00pm

U.S. Passport Book and Card

Our office is processing Passports, BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please be sure to bring all documents, applications, money orders or checks and cash needed for this process. All applications must be neat and complete upon arrival. Use black ink only and do not use white out. Please call (973) 225-3690 for specific requirements and to schedule an appointment. For appointments in our Wanaque Office, please call 973-513-9900.

For community safety, If you arrive for your appointment late, or without all the necessary documents or fees, or you are unprepared, you will need to reschedule your appointment for a later date. 

PLEASE NOTE: The State Department is currently processing passports. All passport services are experiencing significant delays. Expedited passports are taking up to 12 weeks to process while routine passports are taking up to 18 weeks to be processed. The State Department will hold your original supporting documents until they finish processing your passport. Please keep this in mind when you make the decision to come to our office for passport services.

View/Download the Passport Application here.
The form can also be obtained and filled out in our passport offices. 

Please Be Advised 

  • As per the U.S. Department of State, Passport Acceptance Facilities can only accept form DS-11. This form is used for first time applicants, children under 16, applicants ages 16-17, or anyone not eligible for renewal form DS-82   
  • If you are renewing your passport, you can use form DS-82 and renew by mail. These form are not accepted in our offices or outreach events.
  • A U.S. Passport Card is only valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean – Not for travel by air to these destinations.
  • All applicants MUST appear in person. 
  • Your departure date, if known, and your Social Security number must be included on the application. It is important that you fill out all of the required information on the application. 
  • Do not sign the application until you are instructed to do so in the presence of the Passport Agent who is processing it. 

The following items are essential to obtain a passport: 

1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship  

  • A prior U.S. Passport or Passport Card
  • Birth Certificate/Vital Statistics

    Certified Birth Certificate issued by Vital Statistics with a seal and the full names of the parent(s) listed and a recording date within one year of birth.  The full names of the applicant's parent(s) must be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age.  Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. All children under the age of 16 years of age must provide a certified birth certificate with application.
    • The County Clerk does not maintain birth certificates on file.  A birth certificate may be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality that you were born in.  Birth certificates, along with marriage, death, or divorce documents may also be obtained online at www.state.nj.us/health/vital.
  • Born Outside of United States - You can obtain a U.S. Passport if you were born outside of the United States. You must submit the following:
    • A previous passport
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    • Other evidence that would support a claim of citizenship through naturalization of parents
    • Proof relevant to your parents’ naturalization, your foreign birth certificate and your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

Birth abroad to U.S. citizen parents must be substantiated through a consular report of birth and/or certification of birth certificate or your foreign birth certificate, parents' marriage certificate, proof of parents/citizenship and affidavit of U.S. citizen parents showing all periods/places of residence and physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth. 

2. Proof of Identification

  • A valid, not temporary driver's license. A learner’s permit is not acceptable. The license must contain your signature and physical description.  Out of State Driver's licenses will require additional identification.
  •  A permanent identification card or pass from a government agency, employer or student ID.

 3. One Recent 2" x 2" Color Photograph

  • The photograph should contain your face from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head (including hair). Only a color photo is acceptable. You may provide the photograph or the photo can be taken at our office for a $10.00 fee in addition to the fees listed. The photograph must be clear, front view full face taken in normal street attire without glasses or a hat. The photo must be printed in permanent type thin paper with a plain white background. Family snapshots, most vending machine prints, and full-length photos are not acceptable.

4.  U.S. Passport Applications for Children under Age 16 require both parents' signatures

  • Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian and show valid personal identification. Parents must both sign and take an oath before authorized Passport Acceptance Agent.
  • If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must do as set forth above and present evidence that he/she has sole legal custody of the child or submit notarized written consent of the other parent (Form 3053).  A photocopy of the front and back of the non-applying parent's ID is required with the written consent) or a notarized written statement (form DS 3053) (made under penalty of perjury) explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.  Please note that the Form 3053 must be dated within 3 months of the date the child's passport application is applied for or it cannot be accepted.
  • Click here for a full list of fees