icon tw icon fb icon insta
401 Grand St. Paterson, NJ 07505 | (973) 881-4000
"Rich History, Bright Future"

Veteran's Services

Veteran Identification Cards & Discount Program

The Clerk’s Office and the Passaic County Office of Veterans’ Services have partnered to provide Passaic County Veterans with a free Photo Identification Card.  These cards identify Veterans who served in our armed forces and received an honorable discharge following their military service.  The ID cards give Veterans the ability to receive discounts or benefits offered by stores and restaurants.  

In order to obtain an identification card, a Veteran will need to present a copy of their DD-214 Military Discharge Record along with proof of identity and residency in Passaic County.  They can also register their DD-214 discharge papers with the Passaic County Clerk’s Office.  Registering this form affords the veteran the security of knowing that his/her records are permanently recorded. If you cannot locate your original DD-214, you may contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO at (314) 801-0800 for a CERTIFIED copy with a raised seal. For additional information, please visit http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/. 

You may also come to any of our Outreach events for a Veteran’s Photo Identification Card. View our monthly schedule for more information.

Veteran's Peddlers License

A Veteran Peddlers License is issued by the County Clerk's office in the county where the Veteran currently resides. The license allows the holder to hawk or sell goods or merchandise within the State of New Jersey without the need to apply for any additional peddler's license.

What you must do

  • All applicants must appear in person at the Clerk's Office or Satellite Offices
What you must bring

  • Original DD-214 (or other discharge papers proving honorable separation from military service)
  • Two duplicate 2x3 color photos of the veteran are needed, you may bring your own photos or have them taken free of charge. 
  • Proof of a Passaic County address. Must have lived in the State of NJ for a minimum of 6 months, and a resident of the county for a minimum of 3 months. 
What the application process is

  • The Veteran's DD-214 will be recorded in our office; the original with new recording information will be returned to the Veteran at the time of his/her visit, and a copy of the discharge will be sent to Trenton for verification of service. (Note: The applicant will receive a letter from the County Clerk's office within 3-4 weeks only if Trenton reports there was a problem in the verification process.)
  • Once Clerk staff receives a verification of honorable discharge, the applicant may pick up their license once they are notified. 
What will it cost

  • There is no fee for this service.