The duties and responsibilities of the Passaic County Superintendent of Elections and Commissioner of Elections are extensive and wide ranging. They include responsibility for the supervision of all elections in Passaic County, the custody and maintenance of voter records, voter registration, and the custody and maintenance of voting machines. This office is also responsible for enforcement of all election laws and ensuring compliance with the National Voting Rights Act. The Superintendent of Elections for each county is appointed by the Governor.
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Pursuant to Executive Order 177 issued by Governor Philip D. Murphy on August 14, 2020, the November General Election on November 3, 2020 "shall be conducted primarily via vote-by-mail ballots." Thus:
- There will be secure election ballot drop boxes located throughout the county for your convenience. Place your completed, sealed ballot (no stamp required--postmark has been provided) in the mail or in the secure drop box by 8 p.m. on November 3, 2020.
- For a complete listing of available drop boxes in Passaic County, visit: https://www.passaiccountynj.org/government/boards_committees_and_commissions/board_of_elections/index.php
- You can also deliver your ballot to the office of the Board of Elections, 401 Grand Street, Paterson, NJ, by 8 PM on November 3, 2020. You MUST have valid ID when you present completed, sealed ballot at the Board of Elections office.
- There will be a minimum of at least 1 polling location in each municipality throughout the county for in-person voting on a paper provisional ballot.
- Only voters who have a disability that prevents them from voting a paper ballot are permitted to use the in-person voting device. A disability affirmation must be signed by the voter at the polling location prior to using the ADA compliant voting device.
- The voter registration deadline for the November 3, 2020 General Election is October 13, 2020.
- The Superintendent of Elections Office, located at 501 River Street, Paterson, NJ, will be open for late-night voter registration on Friday, October 9, 2020 and Tuesday, October 13, 2020 from 8:30 am to 9:00 pm.
- You may also deliver your voter registration application to your local municipal clerk's office by October 13, 2020 (hours vary by location).
- You can also register to vote online at the New Jersey Division of Elections website, https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/register/eligibility.
- In order to be eligible to vote in Passaic County in the November General Election, you must be a U.S. Citizen, a NJ resident, a resident of Passaic County for at least 30 days before the next election, be 18 years of age on or before the date of the election.