How To Register To Vote
The registrant must download and complete a Voter Registration Application (Spanish version) and/or Party Affiliation Form (Spanish version).
Mail or deliver the Voter Registration Application and/or Party Affiliation Form to our office. The registration deadline to vote at the next election is 21 days prior to election day.
Who Can Register?
To register in New Jersey you must be:
- A United States citizen
- At least 17 years old, though you may not vote until you have reached the age of 18
- A resident of the county for 30 days before the election
You are not eligible to register to vote if:
- You are serving a sentence of incarceration as a result of a conviction of an indictable offense under state or federal law.
Note: If you are no longer serving a sentence, or no longer on parole or probation you CAN vote in NJ by completing a new voter registration form. You only lose your right to vote while serving a sentence of incarceration due to a conviction for an indictable offense under any federal or state laws.
- If you were registered to vote before you were convicted, you must complete a new voter registration form once you have served your time.
- If you are a pre-trial detainee or on bail pending appeal, you do not lose your right to vote.
- If you have any questions, please contact your county commissioner of registration.
Where To Register
Registration Application Forms are available at the Passaic County Commissioners of Registration's office or at your local Municipal Clerk's office.
Registration forms are also available at Division of Motor Vehicle offices. You can also register to vote at the same time you are applying for assistance or service at the following agencies:
- NJ Medical Assistance & Health Services Program
- WIC (Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infant & Children)
- Work First NJ Programs
- Division of Developmental Disabilities
- Office of Disability Services - Department of Human Services - Public Offices
- Armed Forces of the United States Recruitment Offices
- Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services - Department of Labor
- Commission of the Blind & Visually Impaired
- County Welfare Agency or County Board of Social Services
You can also print a registration application and after entering required data, mail it to the Commissioners of Registration office in the county where you reside. In addition, this form can be used for name and address changes.
The Commissioners of Registration cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of a voter registration form since an original signature is required.
Find Your Polling Location
You will receive a sample ballot about 1 week before the election that will indicate where your polling place is or you can use our polling place locator.
Voter Registration & Voting for College Students
College students register to vote in New Jersey by following the standard application process: every prospective voter must submit a voter registration application.
You can register to vote if:
- You are a United States citizen
- You are at least 17 years old but you cannot vote until you reach the age of 18 years
- You will be a resident of the State and county 30 days before the election
- You are NOT currently serving a sentence of incarceration as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this or another state of of the United States.
If you are in college, you have the option to register from your college address or your parent's address. There are good reasons for registering and voting at either residence, but keep in mind, the final choice is yours.
The registration deadline to vote is 21 days prior to Election Day.