FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 16, 2020
NOTICE FROM PASSAIC COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
(Passaic County, New Jersey) - The Passaic County Department of Health Services understands that residents are concerned about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Currently, the Passaic County Department of Health Services has eight positive cases (reported on March 16, 2020). Please be assured that the Health Department has been working diligently to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We have been in constant communication with all of our local partners and stakeholders in collaboration with the New Jersey Department of Health.
The Health Department would like to remind you of basic preventative actions that should be followed during this pandemic. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, please be sure that you:
- Practice handwashing regularly for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Stay home when you are sick, and avoid close contact with people who are sick
In addition, be sure to practice the following social distancing measures:
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet with people who are coughing or sneezing
- Avoid unnecessary physical contact, such as handshaking
- Avoid attending crowded events and social gatherings
- Consider replacing in-person gatherings with video chatting, voice messaging and phone calls
Please note that testing is only available for individuals who are sick. Symptoms include a fever of more than 100.4, coughing, and shortness of breath. The Health Department does not test for COVID-19. Testing can be done through medical providers; contact your healthcare provider to see if you are eligible for testing.
For general questions pertaining to COVID-19, please call the New Jersey Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at 1-800-222-1222. If using an out-of-state phone line please call 1-800-962-1253. For mental health-related concerns during COVID-19, please call the Disaster Distress Hotline at 1-800-985-5990 or text "talk with us" at 66746. For more COVID-19 information, please visit the Passaic County Department of Health Services website passaiccountynj.org/covid19.