City Green, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating the establishment of urban farms and gardens in northern New Jersey’s cities to create increased access to healthy, local food while cultivating education in food systems, nutrition, and the environment. City Green offers practical, technical and financial support to community members of all ages to design, create and manage these urban green spaces. City Green promotes food justice and environmental equality through these greening efforts.
The “Dig In!” Community Garden and Neighborhood Farming Program aims to support the creation of vibrant community gardens in urban, suburban and rural areas of Passaic County for the production of healthy food, neighborhood beautification, and community enhancement.
The Dig In! program also offers funding for habitat restoration projects and tree plantings. These projects focus on reintroducing native perennial plants to support important wildlife like pollinators, and to bring beauty and enchantment to our neighborhoods
For more information about the program, or for assistance with your application, please call us at (973) 628-0486 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIG IN! FUNDING
Community Garden Grants
Up to $2,500 in funding for first-year garden applicants. Dig In! partners will receive ongoing technical support, a lending library of tools, educational programming through garden workshops and more! Existing Dig In! partners can continue to apply for smaller grant amounts.
Water Assistant Grants
Existing Dig In! partners with limited access to water can request up to $2,000 in funds to go towards hoses, rain barrels, irrigation and other water-related necessities.
Pollinator Habitat Garden (spring only)
Up to $500 in funding to create a beautiful native pollinator flower garden. This supports the reintroduction native perennial plants to restore local habitat, support wildlife, pollinators and beautify urban ecosystems.
Community Tree and Daffodil Grants (fall only)
Available to community groups, Daffodil Grants are granted in bulbs and are a minimum of 100 and a maximum of 500 bulbs. Tree Grants are $500 and can go towards purchasing native trees.
Municipal Tree and Daffodil Grants (fall only)
Available to municipalities, Daffodil Grants are granted in bulbs and are a minimum of 1,000 and a maximum of 5,000. Tree grants are granted in native redbud trees in amounts of 5 or 10.
Dig In! grants are generously funded by the Passaic County Board of County Commissioners and operated by City Green.
All applications, program requirements, and due dates can be found online at the City Green website. Applications can also be submitted online. Contact City Green for any questions.
Below is a list of community gardens funded through City Green. To learn more, you can visit City Green's Website Here.
- Bloomingdale Community Garden - 101 Hamburg Turnpike in Bloomingdale
- Canaan's Land Garden - 644 East 27th Street, Paterson
- Center for Family Resources Community Garden - 45 Reinhardt Road, Wayne
- Children's Day Nursery - 104 Jefferson Street, Paterson
- Christopher Columbus Garden - 380 Paulison Ave, Passaic
- Clifton Community Garden - 171 Grove Street, Clifton
- Clifton Library Learning Garden - 292 Piaget Ave, Clifton
- EcoMind Organic Garden - 231 Parish Drive, Wayne
- Edible Oasis - 55 Mill Street, Paterson
- Elysian Fields Community Garden - 430 Totowa Ave, Paterson
- Enrichment Center for Woman, Children, and Families Community Garden – 185 Carroll Street, Paterson
- Father English Food Pantry Garden of Hope - 435 Main Street, Paterson
- Federation Garden Apartment - 510 East 27th Street, Paterson
- Full Service Community Center Garden – Market St. & 19th St., Paterson
- Garden of Eden - 644 East 27th Street, Paterson
- Garden of Hope - 201 Memorial Drive, Paterson
- Garden of Inspiration – 70 Spruce Street, Paterson
- Grace Chapel Garden - 26 Haledon Ave, Paterson
- Grace United Presbyterian Church - 981 Preakness Ave, Wayne
- Great Falls Youth Center Garden - 32 Prince Street, Paterson
- Hawthorne Community Garden - 445 Lafayette Ave, Hawthorne
- Holland Christian Center Garden - 151 Graham Ave, North Haledon
- Ida Gurtman Therapeutic Children’s Garden – 1451 Van Houten Ave, Clifton
- Jewish Family Service Center Garden - 110 Main Ave, Passaic
- JFK Spirit Garden - Corner of Front Street and Preakness Ave, Paterson
- Men’s Garden – 508 Straight St, Paterson
- Montclair State University Community Garden – Montclair Campus, Little Falls
- Nazerah's Gardens – Tyrone Collins Park, Paterson
- New Hope Community Garden – 331 N. 11th St., Prospect Park
- Park Hill Condominiums Community Garden - 128 Boulevard, Passaic
- Passaic Neighborhood Center for Women Community Garden - 153 Washington Place, Passaic
- Paterson Public Library Danforth Garden - 250 Broadway, Paterson
- Paterson Urban Garden Group - Corner of Front Street and Preakness Ave, Paterson
- Passaic County Community College Garden – 1 College Boulevard, Passaic
- PFPL Southside Garden - 930 Main Street, Paterson
- Pompton Lakes Community Garden - 25 Lenox Ave, Pompton Lakes
- Preakness Bible Church Garden - 1108 Preakness Ave, Wayne
- Preakness Valley United Garden - 480 Valley Road, Wayne
- Prospect Park Community Garden - 106 Brown Ave, Prospect Park
- Ringwood Community Garden - 145 Carletondale Ave, Ringwood
- Riverside Terrance Community Garden - 28 Harris Place, Paterson
- Rooftop Garden - 508 Straight Street, Paterson
- Rosa Parks and 12th Ave Green Acre - Corner of Rosa Parks and 12th Ave, Paterson
- Rosa Parks High School Garden - 413 12th Ave, Paterson
- Shomrei Torah Synagogue Garden – 30 Hinchman Ave, Wayne
- School 12 Community Garden - 130 North 2nd Street, Paterson
- St. Bonaventure Church Community Garden - 174 Ramsey St, Paterson
- St. Michaels Neighborhood Garden - 1219 Ratzer Road, Wayne
- St. Peter's Haven Garden - 380 Clifton Ave, Clifton
- STAMPS Public Garden - 155 Governor Street, Paterson
- The Howard Sterling Memorial Garden - 223 Ellison Street, Paterson
- The Lynn George Memorial Garden - 103 Overlook, North Haledon
- Totowa Community Garden - 11 Colonial Court, Totowa
- Veterans Garden - 601 East 18th Street, Paterson
- Wallisch Community Garden - 75 Lincoln Ave, West Milford
- Wayne Community Garden - 533 Berdan Ave, Wayne
- Wayne YMCA Garden – 1 Pike Drive, Wayne
- West Milford High School Garden - 67 Highlander Drive, West Milford
- West Milford Organic Garden/Apple Acres - 1064 Union Valley Road, West Milford
- Wild and Native Medicinal Plants Garden - Corner of Warwick Tpke and Clinton Road, West Milford
- Women's Garden - 508 Straight Street, Paterson